Pages

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Jellaby by Kean Soo; or, How I nearly hyperventilated at the OLA Superconference

Okay. I actually have several entries written down around here, but none of them in posting shape. What I do have is a very excited fangirl story.

I don't get to meet famous, or famous-to-me, people very often. When I do I am usually breathless with excitement and the ensuing stupidity, so I don't really go out of my way to meet famous-to-me people. But this weekend I did, and I was breathless but managed to at least say something somewhat intelligent. I hope. I can't actually remember what I said.

The person I met was Kean Soo, author of one of my favourite graphic novels, Jellaby. He was doing a signing at one of the expo booths at the Ontario Library Association's Superconference. I got a free copy of Jellaby, and not only was it signed, I now have an original drawing of Jellaby underneath my name. I have been so excited for the past day and a half, I cannot explain.

I think I mumbled something about being a fan of Jellaby since its online days, before Jellaby was published. Kean Soo asked me where I had found out about the Secret Friend Society since it hadn't been that popular. I said I thought maybe Flight, or Copper. I couldn't remember. I mumbled. But I smiled a lot, and he smiled at me.

There is a new Jellaby book coming out very soon. I will purchase it. I encourage all to do the same. Jellaby is a wonderful, sweet, beautiful, charming, slightly melancholy piece about childhood and friendship, children and parents, and a big purple creature. It is special. Read it, read it, read it.

No comments: